Monday, January 23, 2012

Looking For Alaska by John Green

Title/Author: Looking For Alaska by John Green
Pages: 221
Publisher: Puffin
Format: Hardback, Library
Published: March 3rd 2005
My Rating: 3.5/5
Buy/Information: Amazon | B&N | Goodreads

Miles Halter is fascinated by famous last words and tired of his safe life at home. He leaves for boarding school to seek what the dying poet Francois Rabelais called the "Great Perhaps." Much awaits Miles at Culver Creek, including Alaska Young. Clever, funny, screwed-up, and dead sexy, Alaska will pull Miles into her labyrinth and catapult him into the Great Perhaps. 

Looking for Alaska brilliantly chronicles the indelible impact one life can have on another. A stunning debut, it marks John Green's arrival as an important new voice in contemporary fiction.


My Review:

This is my first John Green book. I know right, can you believe it? I heard about him but every one's been talking about his new book so I thought. Why don't I check out one of this book? So I decided to read Looking for Alaska :)

I have a lot of things to say about this book. Mostly good things but a few bad things. I don't think I like this book as much as everyone else did. I think it's because it wasn't my type of book. This book is about a dude name Miles. He wants to go to college, the same place his father went. It talks about his experience with drugs and causing trouble. I hope this doesn't really happen at college...but I doubt it. 

There's two section to this book, Before and After. I'll talk about the Before part first. I really like this part a lot more then the After. It had a lot of action, which I love. The romantic is perfect, between Miles and Alaska. I wish they were more in the book. Alaska was probably only in half of Before. 

The After section was pretty boring. I skipped through a lot.... They're trying to find out what happen to Alaska. There wasn't that much dialog so that's probably why I didn't like it as much as the Before part. I did started liking it again at the end. Around the part where Miles's dad was trying to ask like a professor. It was kinda funny. The part where they finally found out about what happen to Alaska. I really think Alaska needed help. I feel sorry for her. I love how strong she is. :)

I do like how the subtitles were like "one day before, three days later". I like it. I think John would come up with great chapter titles though. 

Overall I did like the book. I give this 3.5/5. I really wanted to give this 5/5 because everyone loves it so much! But it's just not my type of book :/

Please do tell me what John Green book I should read next! 

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on Looking for Alaska just being "OK". I received it in a book swap a few years ago, and it was just too much Manic Pixie Dream Girl for me.

    However, I am giving John Green another try (mostly because I spent an hour on his YouTube channel dying with laughter!) and I ordered The Fault in Our Stars last week. I'm excited - the few quotes I've read from it sound like it is a wonderful book. But I'm going to try and not have high expectations - just try and enjoy it, you know?

    ReplyDelete